Thursday, August 12, 2010

Carving in a Cathedral

Oh, horse...


"Thus am I connected forever to the child that I was; the moment in which I first felt love has been preserved intact inside the pain of learning that it also presumes some loss...


"I never quite nailed it: the call of Eros, child substitute, tool for power, life companion; all of these yet none. In attempting to explain this weird deep love for a large equid I have been like a child at the beach, digging too near the water line for the hole to do anything but fill up again with each shovelful of sand I remove." - Melissa Holbrook Pierson


"I thought it was Easter time, the way the light rose,
Rose that morning.
Lately you've been on my mind;
You showed me the rope,
Ropes to climb
Over mountains
And to pull myself
Out of a landslide
Of a landslide.


I thought it was harvest time;
You always loved the smell of the wood burning...
She with her honey hair;
Dalhousie Castle -
She would meet you there
In the winter.
Butter yellow, 
The flames you stirred,
Yes, you could stir.


I raise a glass, 
Make a toast, 
A toast in your honor.
I hear you laugh
And beg me not to dance,
'Cause on your right, standing by, 
Is Mr. Bojangles:
With a toast, he's telling me it's time
To raise a glass, 
Make a toast, 
A toast in your honor. 
I hear you laugh, 
And beg me not to dance. 
'Cause on your right, standing by, 
Is Mr. Bojangles:
With a toast, he's telling me it's time
To let you go, 
Let you go. 


I thought I'd see you again. 
You said, 'You might do,
Maybe in a carving
In a cathedral
Somewhere in Barcelona.' "


- Tori Amos

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something.